A local tea seller, popularly called “mai-shai” has caused the explosion of a petrol-laden tanker in Badeggi village, along Bida-Lapai road in Bida Local Government Area of Niger State.
It was gathered that a local tea seller inadvertently caused the explosion while trying to heat some water to make tea for his customers.
The Federal Road Safety Corps (FRSC) said the incident happened at about 7:30 am on Saturday, September 17, 2022.
Kumar Tsukwam, the state sector commander, told newsmen in Minna on Sunday that the tanker was conveying petrol to Abuja, adding, “while in motion, the tanker started leaking”
“The driver parked and tried to fix the leakage, a fire from a tea shop ignited, followed the trail of the leakage and set the tanker ablaze, as well as two other articulated vehicles.”
Mr Tsukam said that four people were involved in the incident, but they were all unhurt.
He explained that officials of the FRSC, fire service personnel and other security agencies were at the scene to manage the situation.
The sector commander advised drivers of articulated vehicles to always ensure the safety of their vehicles while on the roads to avoid unnecessary crashes.
Read also: ADC’s presidential candidate, Dumebi Kachikwu expelled for anti-party activities
The Director General, Niger State Emergency Management Agency (NSEMA), Malam Ahmed Ibrahim Inga, who also confirmed the incident said the tea seller who got injured was quickly rushed to Federal Medical Centre (FMC) Bida for medical treatment by some sympathisers near the scene of the explosion.
“The fire was caused by a local tea seller who wanted to light his firewood to warm the water for his customers in order to make tea for them, but unknown to him, a tanker lorry nearby was loaded with Premium Motor Spirit (PMS), was leaking,” he stated.
Inga, however, stated that no residential buildings or commercial outlets were burnt, and no life was lost to the unfortunate incident.